Leaving University (withdrawal)

What does withdrawing mean?

Withdrawing from University means terminating your enrolment and leaving University. It means that you would no longer be a registered student at the University. If you subsequently decide that you would like to return to University, you would need to apply through the admissions process again.

When might you use this process?

There are many reasons why someone might be thinking of leaving University. Reasons tend to relate to health, personal, academic or financial matters. If you’re thinking about leaving University, please know that help and support is available and we would encourage you to seek advice so you are able to consider your options and make an informed decision.

For example, if your concerns about staying at University relate to finance issues, the University’s Student Advisers at the Student Hub provide specialist financial support and advice and can help to explore financial options including potential short-term loans or hardship payments.

If your concerns relate to a long term health condition or diagnosed physical or mental health issue, then you may be entitled to support from the University’s Disability Services, this can include academic adjustments via a Student Support Plan.

If you are experiencing unexpected and unforeseen circumstances and are worried about the impact of these on your upcoming or current assessments, you have the option of submitting an Exceptional Circumstances Claim. If the claim is upheld, this should allow you to defer an assessment or take it again.

If you’re thinking about a career change or have changed your mind about your course, we would encourage you to speak to your supervisor or someone in your department (if you feel comfortable doing so). The University’s Career Service is also available and provides specialist careers advice and support, helping you to explore the options available. Further information can be found in the following link: Changing or leaving your course.

Things to consider

Leaving University can have both financial and practical implications therefore it’s important to be aware of these before making the decision to withdraw. Potential implications include:


If you withdraw from your programme you may be liable to repay all or some of your tuition fees and maintenance loan. The amount will depend on your circumstances and the date you withdraw from University. Please see the University’s Student Tuition Fee Refund Policy for further details.

Withdrawal can also affect your remaining entitlement to funding if you decide to return to University. We would encourage you to contact the University’s Student Advisers as they will be able to provide comprehensive and specialist advice regarding the financial implications of withdrawing.

University accommodation

If you’re living in University accommodation and decide to withdraw you will be able to terminate your accommodation agreement. As specified in the Terms and Conditions of Residence, you need to give Accommodation Services 8 weeks written notice of your intention to withdraw and you’ll be required to pay the Accommodation Fees up to and including the 8 week notice period. Further information can be found requesting to vacate.

Private accommodation

If you live in private rented accommodation, you will need to inform your landlord if you want to end your tenancy. The type of tenancy agreement you have will determine if it’s possible for you to give notice and, if so, how much notice you will need to give. The University’s Student Advisers will be able to confirm your legal obligations and rights. Information is also available from The Citizens Advice Bureau – Ending your tenancy

Council tax

If you leave University you will no longer be a registered student and you will be required to pay council tax.

Student Visa

Withdrawing from University will affect your immigration status in the UK. If you are considering withdrawing from the University, you will need to contact the University’s Immigration Advice team at immigration@york.ac.uk. The University is required to notify the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) of any changes to your situation within 10 days of the final day of attendance. Further information and advice is available from the University’s International Student Support Team.

How does the process work?

In the first instance, we would advise that you speak to your supervisor, or someone within your department, about your concerns to discuss your options before reaching a decision.

If you decide to withdraw you will need to complete the Request to Withdraw task on e:vision. A Trained Leaver Contact will then contact you (usually within a couple of working days) and will offer you an appointment to discuss your withdrawal. If you decide that you would still like to withdraw after this conversation, then you will need to finalise your withdrawal on e:vision.

You should then receive an email to confirm that the Confirmation of Withdrawal has been processed. Further information in relation to the withdrawal process can be found online.

What support can I get from YUSU/GSA Advice Services? 

If you have any questions or would like advice on the process of withdrawing, please get in touch with the advice services at YUSU or the GSA (for postgraduate students), and we would be happy to guide you through the process.

Further information, advice and support

Student Union advice services can also offer independent advice and guidance to students via email, phone or virtual appointments.

YUSU Advice and Support Centre (ASC)

YUSU Advice and Support website

email: asc@yusu.org 

GSA advice service(for postgraduates)

GSA website

email: advice@yorkgsa.org