Accommodation can sometimes be quite difficult to find for postgraduates both at the University and in the surrounding areas. Here are some handy tips and resources to help you get settled down in York:

Join the Find a Housemate GSA Facebook Group

This Facebook group is very active and there is plenty of options posted up regularly. Click here to find the group on Facebook.

Have a look at the Higher York Residential Guides

There are a selection of Residential Guides available on the Higher York website which detail out a variety of information such as local amenities, distance to campus and opportunities available in the local community. The Higher York Community life page is also a very useful source of information for moving in.

YorProperty and YorProperty Plus

If you are looking for off-campus accommodation both the GSA and the University recommend that you look for properties on the City of York Council YorProperty website. Housing on that list which meets a higher standard than normal has a ‘YorProperty Plus’ logo on it. You should start with these!

The University also provides a services which allows students to place their own adverts offering rooms and houses. You can find this here. The University also provides an up-to-date list of lettings agencies as well as links to helpful property/room search websites. You can find this information here.

Problems with your accommodation

If you are having problems with your University accommodation, the GSA Advice Service can support you with information about how to approach the University to ensure problems are resolved. You can also find out more about the University accommodation complaint process on their webpage.

The GSA are not able to provide support for students having problems with their private sector accommodation. However, the Student Advisers in the Student Hub are able to provide support with this – you can find contact details for the Student Hub on the University website here.