GSA Statement on new Lockdown measures
In light of the Government announcement of a second period of lockdown measures in England, we, as the GSA’s Sabbatical Officer Team, wanted to address the concerns you might have. Even before the lockdown was announced, we have been working hard to move our activities and events online and provide you the support that you need.
We know that many of you are worried about the impact that a second period of lockdown will have on all aspects of our lives. We would like to reassure you that we are working with the University in order to address your concerns and attend to your needs whether these are study, wellbeing and /or finance related. As student representatives we are here to be your voice to the University in these matters and we welcome your opinions and thoughts to shape our conversations with the University.
This time is likely to be extremely challenging for all of us, but as your postgraduate students union we will increase the amount of online events over the lockdown and festive period to keep you connected to your fellow students, some of which you can find below.
What’s happening in your PG community in lockdown
- Increased (free) wellbeing activities – including a weekly cinema club, yoga classes, pub quizzes, a fantasy football league and our Postgrad Role Playing Game group
- Postgraduate Networks – your student Networks will still be operating over lockdown and we encourage you to sign up here
- Creation of online social & wellbeing resources – a one stop shop for all PGs covering all interests: gaming, cooking, academia to support you this lockdown coming soon
- ‘Stay Safe, Keep Smiling’ – a new campaign to ensure that there are an increased online range of entertainment activities over lockdown and the Christmas period
- Postgraduate Community Fund – you can still apply for the Postgraduate Community Fund if you want to host a conference, run a student club, or host an event. Up to £1000 on offer
- More to come – the GSA are working hard to ensure that we can offer the best possible support to students in this difficult time
For now, this means that on campus events such as Postgrad Free Sport and Wellbeing Walks are sadly being paused for the time being following this Thursday. When it is safe to resume these we will keep you updated.
We reiterate the University message stating that we reject the narrative targeting students as irresponsible and we are grateful for your continued hard work in making campus a safe environment. We would also like to remind you that our GSA Advice Service is open for online appointments and that you can book a slot through this link.
Remember, there are lots of study spaces available in Heslington Hall and across the campus and these remain bookable during the lockdown.
Though this is not an ideal situation, your Postgraduate Student Union is here for you, as we have been for 55 years.
Purnur, Clara and Jane