Hi! I’m your Academic Officer for 2018-19!
- Cheaper printing
- More Study Space – especially PG specific study space!
- MoreBooks! Have the morebooks scheme run more often, and at key PG times.
- To work with the Library to secure better Access to Journals
- E-submission of assignments
- Address the Accountability of Supervisors/ increase levels of Supervisor training
- No weekend or evening exams
- Improve GSA Course Rep systems
Specific Duties of the role:
- Leads on overseeing academic policy within the GSA and representing students accordingly.To ensure the GSA addresses academic issues affecting the quality of education received by the membership, and to work to raise awareness of those issues and gather feedback from the membership where appropriateTo ensure the GSA inputs and influences the academic resources provided by the University for members
- To work closely with members of the University Executive Board as well as other stakeholders to ensure that all new academic policy and decisions are taken with an understanding of the postgraduate’s view and ensuring coherence on policy where possible
- To support the library and academic departments in the development and promotion of academic related activities and projects
- To work with the GSA to encourage members to fill in relevant educational surveys such as the PTES and PRES and to ensure the GSA and University acts on the feedback received from its students
- To work with the relevant staff to keep the GSA informed of current issues in Higher Education and where necessary liaise with the relevant bodies such as the Office For Students (OFS)
- To ensure the University is supporting distance learners and to attend relevant distance learning committees
- To build networks within the University by working with departmental staff, including Graduate Board of Study Chairs
- To support the GSA Council with their activities (Faculty Reps)
- Coordinate and support the postgraduate faculty and course reps including convening regular faculty forums and course rep training
- Provide feedback from postgraduate students for key players in the university on academic matters
- Assisting the University with departmental reviews, ensuring postgraduates are receiving quality teaching, supervision and support, where required